Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Taste of Success

I harvested my first cucumbers yesterday and they were extra delicious. I thought they'd be weird tasting because they look and feel a lot different than grocery store cukes. There really wasn't a flavor difference, but the freshness was quite noticeable- especially in the texture. They had the same texture has a regular cucumber, but ya know, more crunchy I guess. Fresher. 

The cucumber plant isn't doing too well though; I think I'll only get a few more off the plants. They just soak up sooo much water, I can't keep up. Plus I have an infestation of white-flies in all my plants. The flies are tiny and suck the juices out of the plant, restricting nutrient flow etc. Combining the drought and flies has caused half the leaves to wilt & die. We'll see how long they last though.

I also harvested some oregano (which is going wild in the strawberry pot) and basil (which continues to go wild) and let Nicholas make a delicious meal with them. He combined my herbs with some fresh garlic in home grown & canned tomato sauce and put that on a slice of Italian bread with sausage and cheese. The sauce was absolutely amazing and incredibly flavorful for the amount of herb put in. I meant to take a photo, but it was just too good.

My other plants are doing alright. The peppers havn't grown much later and I think they might have a disease; the pepper gets a soft pink spot on them when they are about 3in in diameter. I have yet to try one of the green peppers. The plant looks alright though. We have had cooler weather for a few weeks so I think it stopped going to fruit for awhile. Luckily, its back up to the 80*s and I might get a few more.

The tomato is lame with silly flowers and no fruit.

The carrots, lettuce, pea, and leek have all sprouted! The lettuce were out a few days after I put the seeds in. The leek followed and the carrot just appeared on Sunday. I'll be eating salad in no time!!



Sorry of the lack of pics- my memory card is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment