Sunday, April 3, 2011

Winter Harvest

Winter was a great success.
This was my last harvest from winter. I had a boat load of greens, which the pictures don't really portray. Two whole window boxes were bursting with them. One had a mix of bitter greens (arugula) and the other had a mix of spicy micro greens (raddish-ish). Not my favorite. Most of them actually ended up in the compost heap. I had a few salads with them mixed into store-bought lettuce I had to pull them all up at once because they were attracting aphids.



This leaf of greens had a weird mutation where mini-leaves were coming out of it. Just wanted to show you all.


 
When I cleared out the micro-green box I found this one miniature radish. It tasted like a radish.

 I had started a box of Leek and Carrots awhile ago, and it's doing just fine. However, I thought that I would have full, luscious, delicious, ready to make soup leeks by now. No. They just look like green onion. :( I'm going to keep them going for a good while now so they hearty up. They do look good though.  
 

I  harvested several carrots from the leek box. It's weird, but the carrots I planted in other places haven't fleshed out. These definitely did. I hadn't been checking them very regularly so when I saw a quarter sized orange head peeking through the dirt I nearly split in half. Like this carrot.




 The variety is a true baby carrot (little finger I think, go check the post) so these are full grown. I ate them with my salad. Nothing extra-ordinary in taste, but they did have a strong flavoring of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment